8/22/2007

Home Improvement Project: Day 9

Home Depot with kids is something everyone should have to experience at least once. Definitely a character building experience.

Spent 15 minutes returning my 4 dollars worth of piping because he computer was down. Went to the plumbing aisle and experienced more humiliation from same plumbing clerk. What was worse is he's telling me I can't do what I'm trying to do even though the way I wanted to do it was perfectly logical. While talking with Mr Plumbing Genius, Lisey decides to stand up in the front seat of the cart. Plumbing guy is flipping out and from then on I'm trying to contain her while getting pipe. Then every time there is a new pipe added to the mix, both kids want to hold it and get into a huge fight over who get to hold it. I'll the while I'm trying to plumb the impossible out of the 400 elbows and threaded connectors and 1 1/4" pipes, and 1 1/2" pipes and traps, and plastic or metal, etc. So I leave Home Depot with my extension 1 1/4" pipe to an 1 1/4" trap to an elbow to a 1 1/4" inch to 1 1/2" adapter to my only comes in metal 2" extension with the 1 1/2" adapter rubber washer and two kids about to be sent off to boarding school.

That night I put it all together, tightened my connections and turned on the water to the sound of... nothing. No water. WTF!!! Called dad. He had no idea except to trouble shoot. Took the hoses off. Water comes out now. Put the hoses on not connected to the faucet. Still have water. So the problem is with the faucet. I was about to pack the damn thing up and make another trip. I tied taking the screan off. Wow, now it works. Found this plastic thing blocking the water behind the screen. Thought it was trash but evidently it is the aerator. Figured out the problem was it was in upside down. Nice! Turned it over sink works great.

Checked underneath. Drip, drip, drip all over. Locked like a freakin Mickey Mouse cartoon. Tightened the pipes a bit more. Stopped 3 of the for leaks. The one leak from the downspout of the sink was coming out between the threads. Put silicone on the seal and more plumbers tape on the threads. No leaks. I still f'n hate plumbing but I am also, the man. Me make toilet and sink work. Me fix leaks. Me lay ceramic tile. Me rebuild vanity. (*beats on chest)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home