8/12/2007

Home Improvement Project: Day 3

Day three: Shopping and floor prep

Went to Lowes. Found out I had to buy sink and faucets separate. Also was told that they only make vanities with drawers on the right hand side. WTF? Evidently builders always bring the pipes in from th back or left. Left hand drawers are special order and twice as much. Fuck that, we'll improvise. Looked at the possibility of switching drawers to the left. Possible but requires removing wood slats and re gluing. Called Amy for pipe measurement. I figured out that I can probably send the pipe between the drawers and not hit them if I get the next model up (another $50, crap). We'll see which option we choose Tuesday. Had to pick from 30 different colors of sinks. Then on to tile, another 30 kinds and colors. Picked a almond colored ceramic tile, got a primer on how to lay ceramic tile from Lowes girl, picked up tools and materials, and headed home.

Began laying out tile and marking cuts that needed to be made. Straight cuts were very easy. Score the tile and snap it with cutting tool. Corners and cut outs are nearly impossible. By evening I had all the straight cuts made and all the cut outs marked. I took a break to go to dinner with the family, do the dishes, go to the Iron Birds fireworks with the family, and bathe the kids. I had ten pieces of tile to cut. They tile is cut with these nippers. They suck. Just when you about have your shape cut out your tile splits in half. Every time! I decided to try the Dremel. Cut off disks were wearing away, turning orange, and flying off it flaming pieces. Went to Home Depot and bought a Diamond Chip Dremel attachment. It kind of worked but after half an hour I had one tile cut and had worn down the bit. I was able to cut the rest over the next four hours using the Dremel to score a deep whole and only breaking every other tile with the nippers.

At 3:30 AM I had all the tile cut, 4 blisters on my hands, and 12 pieces of broken tile. I then leveled a warped section of the floor, and was in bed by 4:30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home