8/08/2007

Addicted to the podcast

I was a little late jumping on the podcast bandwagon, but my newfound love of everything Mac made me want to check them out. I listened to my first one about 6 months ago and have 30 different podcasts in my iTunes and have listened to who knows how many total episodes. They are always playing on the iPod in the car, so much so that the kids have started singing the theme music to several of them.

For those of you, like the love of my life, who may not have ventured into podcast land, read on. The rest of you skip this paragraph. Podcasts are audio or video presentations. Most are like radio or talk TV shows but others are tutorials, comedy routines, etc. I thought podcasts would be difficult to get started with. Nope! It's so freaking simple. If you have iTunes set up to let you download from the iTunes store, that's it. Go to the iTunes store. Click on "podcasts" on the left hand side. Browse or search for ones you might like. They have descriptions, ratings, and they are all FREE! You just click "get episode" and they go right into your iTunes library. If you really like one you can click "subscribe" and all new episodes will automatically download when they become available. You can choose to have them go onto you iPod or uncheck them and they will only be available on your computer. If you only have an audio iPod like me, you can watch the video podcasts on the computer. They won't transfer to your iPod or clog up space. When your done listening you delete them from iTunes and that's it.

So anyway, some of my recommendations are as follows:

Comedy:

Smodcast- Kevin Smith (writer/director of Clerks and all the Silent Bob and Jay movies and Silent Bob) and his friend Scott Mosier (producer of those movies) do an audio show in which they just chat about whatever the hell they feel like. Just like his movies and interviews, the dialog is hilarious. Definitely my favorite podcast.

Don't Be That Guy- Video podcast of a sketch comedy team showing the ironic truth of all those guys you don't want to be. Surprisingly funny for being so clean.

Mr. Deity- I believe Adam originally introduced Amy to his clips on the net. Now they've become podcasts. A delightful show about how difficult it is to be God and run the universe.


Tutorial:

Adobe Photoshop Elements Killer Tips- Name says it all.

Mac Tips Daily- see above.

French Maid TV- found this one tonight so I've only watched one episode. Sexy french maids teaching things like how to make a podcast and how to give CPR. What a concept!!!

Poker:

Pokerwire Radio- Pros Gavin Smith and Joe Sebok and host Joe Stapleton bullshit about poker, prop bets, and everything else. Once in a while they even teach you something.

ESPN Radio: The Poker Edge- Pro Phil Gordon (who's books I highly recommend) shares news from the poker world and tips for playing.



Ex Mormon:

TheChurchIsNotTrue Former Mormon radio- The episodes with Tal Bachman are particularly good.


My next step is to actually try to do my own podcast. They are the up and coming thing in education and maybe it will give me an excuse to buy a couple of iPods for the library! :) Or I could just post more of my mindless ramblings to further clog up the cyberspace world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home