8/12/2007

Home Improvement Project (from hell!) Overview

There are very few things in the world I find more repulsive than the smell of cat piss. My cats are usually good about using the liter box for some reason, every so often, they pee on the carpets in front of the tubs. This drives me bonkers. I've never been able to catch them in th act, luckily for them.

Since we bought our house, I've wanted to remove the wall to wall carpet in both bathrooms. I'm not a fan of carpeted bathrooms anyway, and the cat pee smell has never totally gone away, I'm pretty sure they'd be less likely to pee on tile and if they did, clean up is much easier from a non absorbent surface.

I decided since I'm pulling the carpet and putting down new floor, I should put in a nice new vanity with drawers and one of those medicine cabinets with the trifold mirror. And if I'm doing all that, I may as well paint while everything is out of the room. I priced it online: Vanity: $200, Medicine cabinet $140, Paint $30, Tile $100, so the whole project should be about $500 and take about 2-3 days right? Wrong!

The vanity in the nice picture from the Lowes website

doesn't actually come with the sink or the facet. It's another $120 for the sink and $50 for the cheapest matching faucet they had. Guess I need to read the fine print but they could have made that a bit more clear. Then there was another $100 or so in materials like rollers, grout, floor adhesive, diamond tipped dremel bits, etc. so my $500 project has now cost me about $800. Yikes! And I still have another bathroom to do after this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home