7/27/2007

Vacation Week One

It's been a great month. We spent two weeks in the Outer Banks and then the following weekend I got to take Marc and go to ECXC.

Amy blogged about the Outer Banks so I'll just share my highlights and move on.

When I was 10, my family started the tradition of heading to the Outer Banks for or week or sometimes two each summer with my grandparents and my uncle's family. The tradition ended with the deterioration and eventual death of my grandfather, my parents' marriage, and my uncle's manhood (we'll save that blog for another time).

Anyway, a few years ago dad and my stepmother revived the tradition and we are lucky enough to get to spend a week at the beach each summer. This year we got a double blessing because we were able to talk my inlaws into renting the house the week before my dad.

So the first week was with Amy's family and the second was with mine. Unfortunately, the week got off to an incredibly Mormon start but got better as it progressed. Friday night we arrived and were invited to a spaghetti dinner by the local ward. Our first night at the beach was spent eating a half helping of spaghetti in a dimly lit chapel.

Then Sat morning we had to get up and drive 80 miles north (back toward home) to attend my neices baptism. Now the one rule about the beach is you don't do anything on Sat. That's the day everyone arrives and traffic is horrible. Getting out was Ok but getting back took 3 times as long as it should have with the last 15 miles taking about an hour and a half. I was not happy at all to have wasted an entire day and half of vacation doing church stuff that I didn't even believe in ("every time I try to get out, they keep pulling me back in"). But my inlaws were generous enough to be paying for the house so who was I complain about the plans. At the same time, when they invited us to church on Sunday morning we were like yeah right, we've had enough church for the whole year much less vacation. So they got dressed up for church while we were putting on sunscreen. If they only knew...

Anyway, aside from the first week being alcohol free and the evening scripture lessons (Marc, "this is boring, I'm going to play PlayStation") the first week was pretty good. The kids had cousins to play with and it was pretty relaxing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home