8/27/2007

Camping with My Babies

Amy had planned a trip to NYC with her mom so it was just the three of us this weekend. One of my Xterra Clubs had a trip planned so I decided to brave a trip to the forest with my crew. This would be Lisey's first time camping, off roading, and being without a bathroom for a whole weekend, and it would be my first time taking both kids on an off road trip.

Friday after school, I jetted home, grabbed the gear and kids, and started off toward George Washington National Forest. We stopped at Arby's for dinner and the kids were surprisingly good during the 4 hour trip to the campground. We arrived at camp at about 11:00. Marc and Lisey were a big help holding the poles as I set up the tent and only shining the flashlight in my eyes about 15 times. We then headed down to the fire to say hi t the rest of the guys and sit by the fire. Twenty minutes later Lisey was asking to go to bed. (Lisey never asks to go to bed).

I took her out in the woods and helped her squat to pee (she's a natural) and then we got their pajamas on and crawled into bed. They were both out in 10 minutes.

Saturday we got up to a breakfast of donuts. Packed lunch and hit the trails.

I pulled the airbag fuse and let Lisey ride in the front seat off road. She was a bit scared before we got to the trail but once we started off, she was having a blast; cheering whenever we drove through the "chocolate milk" and yelling weeeooohhh like R2D2 as we drove over rock piles.



Marc has been off road a lot since he was 2 so this was pretty old hat for him. He spent most of the day in the back seat playing PSP but he had fun too.

Around 3:30 we came across a group of scouts, one of whom had fallen off his mountain bike and was hurt pretty bad. We called EMS and waited with the boy for them to arrive. since we were off road, they sent a decked out rescue hummer with a rescue team ahead of EMS. The ambulance took another 30 min or so to navigate the trail during which time Marc decided he had to poop. Now poor Marc can't go in less than 20 minutes to save his life.



We were on a shelf road so the only place to put him was in the middle of the trail in front of our line of trucks. So there's Marc, plopped down with is ass between two rocks on the side of the trail doing his business. About 10 minutes in, this jeep, dad, mom, and two young girls, comes rolling down the trail and drives right past poor Marc in all his glory. Marc took it well though, finished up, and was upset we had to go and he couldn't go make friends with the girls.

EMS took the kid, he seemed OK, and we were on our way. Lisey fell a sleep and it was off to the rock ledge.

The rock ledge is a 3 foot rock pile/wall that is the only difficult obstacle in GWNF. Last year I finally got the courage to drive down it. With good spotting and slow driving, it is not too bad but a little tippy.



After being one of the only ones in the group who would drive down it, I decided to give going up a shot. Basically I driving up a 3 ft ledge. After about 4 tries I was able to get the front tires up on the ledge. I was then able to muscle the back tires up with a prety good jar. Poor Lisey was banged awake and was a little unhappy but we were up and nothing was broken. On back to camp.





At camp the kids were incredibly well behaved. We made dinner, beef stew for them and foil meal for me. We then went down to spend the evening by the camp fire. Marc was being really funny and was excited to go get me a beer from the cooler every now and again. Lisey was being nice to everyone who had treats and was happy as coupld be chillin in her princess camp chair.





Around 11 we headed to bed. Again kids were out in minutes.

2:00 AM poor Lisey woke up having to poop. We got shoes on and headed out in the woods. Poor kid tried and tried but couldn't go. Eventually she just wanted to go back to sleep.

Next day we slept in late, packed up camp, and started the drive home. Lisey was feeling bad all day and tried to go several times but never could.

We stopped at the outlets to hit the Under Armour store. I let the kids each get a toy at KB too because they were so well behaved. Then on home. Lisey was miserable the rest of the day but that leads into my next blog.

It was nice to get home, see my cutie again, and have such great memories with the kids. When I asked the kids their favorite parts Lisey liked driving through the chocolate milk and Marc liked getting me beers, god I trained them well :P

2 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

Poor poor Lisey. I know how this story ends, though some funny came out of it.

10:02 AM, August 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds fun, what with all the outdoor pooping involved.

Did you know your link to Amy's blog doesn't work? It has an extra "/" in at the end I think.

Hope Lisey is okay, and didn't get poison oak or something...

2:33 PM, September 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home