1/31/2007

Milestones

It's been an exciting month. I finally got the formal graduation ceremony even though I finished my degree in August (glad Towson saved a buck, too bad they never passed the savings on to me). With graduation, came the incredible generosity of my family. Do to that generosity, Christmas presents, and an even more incredible amount of generousity from my wonderful wife (she gave me a good deal of her bonus as a graduation/birthday present) I was able to purchase my new favorite toy.

Now I'd been contemplating switching teams for some time, but it took me a while to decide to come out of the closet. I mean I grew up being taught certain values. We were a very conservative family when it came to these kinds of things. Heck I'd even done some bashing of those people who "thought different" myself. But as you get older, sometimes you open your mind to things you had never opened your mind to before. I mean it was becoming more accepted, you saw them on TV all the time, and so I experimented a bit. And then I decided I really liked it. Really really liked it. Then I made up my mind. I was going to switch teams. My wife was really cool with it, but how was I going to tell my family. I mean what would dad and my brothers think.

Well, like most big pieces of earth shattering news, I just told dad one night. He was surprisingly cool with it. Even admitted he'd experimented a bit himself even though he decided it wasn't his thing. Casey was cool as he always is with anything I decide. Andy was a little put off but he's dealing with it. Even supported it with his Christmas and graduation presents even though he said it tore out a piece of his heart.

So anyway, a week ago, it arrived and now, I'm... a Mac guy.

The change has been surprisingly easy and the picture is absolutely gorgeous. I'm on it pretty much nonstop from the time I get home until I go to sleep. The first night I was able to move all my iTunes music (about 18 gig) to my Mac and delete all Amy's crappy disco. (I keep trying to tell her it's bad for the speakers but she doesn't believe me). I was also able to tap into my encrypted wireless network, and share my printer that is hooked up to my PC. Not bad for a guy who's never had a Mac before. There's still a lot I have to learn but I'm so excited to have my new favorite toy.













The other big milestone happens in about a day and a half. I turn THIRTY!!! I really can't beleive it. I mean I think of myself as like 18. I think of my parents in their 30s. So, to protest the whole thing, I'm stealing my friend Dan's idea, and having a huge birthday weekend celebration.

Friday night is Poker night. Beer, chips, bustin each others balls, and taking all my friend's money. I can't think of a better way to start the festivities.

Saturday is paintball at noon. I'm hoping not to killed in an assassinate the birthday boy coupe. Otherwise, should be great times.

Then Saturday night we're heading to my favorite Irish Pub for Guinness and fish and chips. Looks like about 25 of my closest fiends should be attending if all goes well. And then we'll finish the night off where we always go after J. Patrick's. :P

So hopefully this weekend will provide plenty of material for my next blog.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the new toy! I'm just a teensy bit jealous. Only if teensy is the same as tremendously. :-)
Have a very Happy Birthday!

9:53 AM, February 01, 2007  
Blogger Exvestigator said...

Thanks and thanks.

9:58 PM, February 01, 2007  
Blogger Randy said...

Happy birthday!

11:33 AM, February 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude can you reveal about how much that cost you? Domo has been berating me for not getting a Mac because of cost issues but then he won't tell me what a comparable Mac might cost. Yes, yes, I could go google it myself. What's your point?

(Oh, and again, happy b-day. Sounds like you had a great one!)

12:16 AM, February 10, 2007  
Blogger Exvestigator said...

My Mac was $2000. The least expensive Mac laptops are about $1100. I wanted the bigger screen, better gaphics card, etc. Also, if you are taking college classes or employed you get a 10% discount.

Honestly I have no regrets although I probably could have bought a comparable PC for cheaper.

12:20 AM, February 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Employed as an educator? Or just employed generally? (I bought my first mac on an educator discount years and years ago when I was teaching school.)

One way or another, thanks for the info!

7:02 PM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger Exvestigator said...

As an educator. But if you have kids in school they count as students. Hypotheticaly you could buy it in their name.

5:17 PM, February 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home