3/08/2007

Undeserved snow day

Lake effect snow was on the way this morning and HCPS did something they rarely ever do. They cancelled school before the snow got here. We have this great new system that actually calls at 6:00 to tell students and teachers if school is delayed or closed. So I was plesently surprised to get the call this morning when it wasn't even snowing yet.

After sleeping until about 9:30, I watched Time Warp Trio and Sponge Bob with the kids in a half awake half asleep state. When they got bored of TV and were at each other's throats, I made their lunches and decided to take them sledding. There was barely enough snow for sledding (and definitely not enough to justify a day off school :P ) However, I figured they were light and our $2.50 Target clearance sleds were plastic so maybe it would be ok.

I tore through the closet attempting to find snow gear for the kids and myself. I had my snowboarding gear and Lisey fit into Marc's old snow pants and coat. There was also a pair of incredible hulk cotton gloves that used to be Marc's and a pair of rain boots, previously Marc's as well. How the hell did we make it to March with no winter gear, oh yeah, it was 50 degrees most of the winter. Anyway, Lisey was suited up, home goodwill style but what about Marc. Unfortunately it was white trash sledding for Marc. He did have a hat, gloves, and a winter coat. Unfortunately, jeans and sneakers were just going to have to be OK.

Even in the getto gear, the kids were very excited as they had never been sledding before. Don't ask me how that happened, it was probably because last winter after spending half an hour getting them geared up to play in the snow, they took two steps out the door, comlained it was too cold, and went back in.

Anyway, they were very excited as we drove up to the middle school to sled. To our suprise we were the only ones taking advantage of the big hill covered in and inch and a half of snow. The kids were both a little nervous and excited at the same time. We walked to the top and I sent Marc down, following cosely behind with Lisey on my lap. When we got to the bottom, they were both so excited. Both of them were troppers, walking up the hill over and over without complaint. By the end of the afternoon, they were going down on their bellies, backwards, and any other way they could think of. Lisey was going all by herself. I was really glad I had taken them out after all.

When they were finally cold and tired, we headed back to the house, stripped off the wet clothes and went in the hot tub. It was a great day. No profound point to make, just had a fun day off with the kids. The other day Marc told e he was going to sell me on eBay so hopefully I'm in their good graces again now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liseysmom said...

Damn - that just makes me so pissed I was in court all day instead of enjoying the snow!!

9:12 PM, March 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home